Monday, March 14, 2011

The Lessons Can't Wait

The planning is in full-swing, but the lessons can't wait. So, while I'm writing lesson plans, I've started doing workbooks and flashcards with the boys. Of course, I've done flashcards with them before, but we're focusing on revving up their minds and dominating my inconsistency. Once I get my lesson plans written and corresponding materials collected, we'll get into the "serious" learning! Well, it will be more detailed and cover a wider range at any rate!

My main focus right now is just to familiarize them with the alphabet and numbers. I purchased two dry-erase workbooks that the boys are really excited to use. I was so happy to find them as they're reusable, perfect for teaching two at once. The alphabet book excited the boys as I knew it would, but it was the numbers book that really got their attention. They enjoyed taking turns to practice tracing the letters and numbers as they shouted them out together.

I wasn't sure and didn't bother looking up how long of an attention span my kiddos might have before starting. I decided they'd be the best place to look for that answer. It was actually longer and better than I thought. And I was more focused and for longer than P which really surprised me as he is my calmer child. It just goes to show that I, my high needs baby, just needs positive attention and something to direct his energy. Though we are just three, we make a group and P often does better at things on his own. So, it makes sense that he became a little restless and selfish contending for attention and independence. These are definitely things to consider as we go on with our studies. So many things will be a revelation for me as I learn and go with the boys. I love that children teach you as much as you teach them!

No comments:

Post a Comment